As Hurricane Florence begins to bare down on the East Coast, we know those in the storm's path will be taking precautions.
While much focus will be on physical safety, there are a number of ways that you can ensure a more secure identity before, during, and after the event when opportunistic crimes can occur.
- In case you need to leave your home, secure sensitive documents and paperwork in a safe or a locked drawer and be sure to take all credit cards and insurance documents with you.
- If time permits, consider stopping mail service and cancel any package deliveries
After the storm subsides, avoid hasty decisions in an effort to return to normalcy.
- Do not allow access to your property to someone who does not supply legitimate identification.
- If needed, use caution when asked to pay up front for materials or labor and do not allow contractors to begin work without getting a price quote in writing (to avoid hefty “surprise” fees after the work is completed).
- Be on the lookout for roving out-of-town crews or unlicensed individuals who take advantage of the latest storm to steal from the victims.
This information is courtesy of Generali Global Assistance, used with permission.